Welcome to this new blog at Krishworld. In this blog, I will be writing about my thoughts on topics related to open source, open standards, open web, open society, open government, etc.. My thoughts on these topics are evolutionary in nature and I plan to use this platform to fine tune my thoughts. Feel free to join the discussion here. Initially, I may not maintain a regular schedule but eventually, I plan to move into a routine. Feel free to visit my homepage at www.krishworld.com for more information about me.
I used to blog about open source and related topic in my old blog, which is now archived at blog.krishworld.com. I was somewhat regular on that blog till a sudden boredom and eventual obligations at other blogs pushed it to near death. Then I moved it to wordpress.com, breaking many of my links. I have decided to retire that blog and start fresh, exclusively, on topics related to open source, open standards, open web, etc.. In short, this blog will serve as a platform to evolve my ideas for an open world. However, I might recycle some of the posts from the old blog if it is relevant to the theme here.
If anyone has a question about hosting my blog on an open world in a proprietary environment like blogger, here is my response. I want to host this blog on the clouds. I am clear about it and I don't believe in using traditional hosting methods while preaching the advantages of clouds elsewhere. The only option for an open source based blog hosting on the clouds is wordpress.com. But I find its features restrictive and themes terrible. Plus, as we move from the traditional software world to cloud computing world, open source becomes one of the many considerations. Others being open standards and data portability. Since I could export the blogs into an xml file and the availability of open source blog converters, blogger.com meets some of the standards I have set forth for myself. I do agree that it is not a solid reason but I find the limitations of wordpress.com equally restrictive. In future, I might move the blog to a cloud based hosting that also offers their software in an opensource format. Till then, this is going to serve as a platform to develop my ideas.
Once again, welcome to Open@Krishworld and I hope you find my musings worthwhile.
I used to blog about open source and related topic in my old blog, which is now archived at blog.krishworld.com. I was somewhat regular on that blog till a sudden boredom and eventual obligations at other blogs pushed it to near death. Then I moved it to wordpress.com, breaking many of my links. I have decided to retire that blog and start fresh, exclusively, on topics related to open source, open standards, open web, etc.. In short, this blog will serve as a platform to evolve my ideas for an open world. However, I might recycle some of the posts from the old blog if it is relevant to the theme here.
If anyone has a question about hosting my blog on an open world in a proprietary environment like blogger, here is my response. I want to host this blog on the clouds. I am clear about it and I don't believe in using traditional hosting methods while preaching the advantages of clouds elsewhere. The only option for an open source based blog hosting on the clouds is wordpress.com. But I find its features restrictive and themes terrible. Plus, as we move from the traditional software world to cloud computing world, open source becomes one of the many considerations. Others being open standards and data portability. Since I could export the blogs into an xml file and the availability of open source blog converters, blogger.com meets some of the standards I have set forth for myself. I do agree that it is not a solid reason but I find the limitations of wordpress.com equally restrictive. In future, I might move the blog to a cloud based hosting that also offers their software in an opensource format. Till then, this is going to serve as a platform to develop my ideas.
Once again, welcome to Open@Krishworld and I hope you find my musings worthwhile.

0 comments:
Post a Comment
We believe in the freedom of expression but we also believe that such a freedom comes with responsibility. We want to have a civil discourse even if there are disagreements on the subject matter. So, it is required that you have to register in order to comment in this blog. There is absolutely no correlation between anonymity and the freedom of expression. Such a freedom is associated with an identity in the real world and, hence, we expect you to use your identity here to comment. Thanks for your cooperation in this regard.